Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Beatles Birthday Cake

I like to make our birthday cakes rather than buying them - it is easier on the pocketbook, we prefer the taste of homemade icing, and I like that we can personalize the decorations.  When the kiddos were young I had a lot of fun making theme cakes, which I'll show you someday when I find the photos.  However, eventually the younguns reached an age when they didn't want cakes decorated like a lion or worse still with Barnie on it.   So then what is a Mom to do???  


The Beatles' Abbey Road Album cover in silhouette used as cake decoration

Kate recently had her birthday and I thought I would show you how I decorated her cake as it is an idea you can easily adapt to any interest.  Kate loves the Beatles so I thought I would use a silhouette of the Abbey Road album on the cake.  I Googled an image that I could print and cut out to make a stencil.   When I was icing the cake, I smoothed the icing down as much as possible so the stencil would lay flat on it and then I dusted icing sugar on top.  It wasn't a perfect job, but she loved it.



You can see the image I used to decorate the cake in the photo below (I printed an extra one for Kate as I knew she would want one to keep).




Kate knows her Beatles so well that she could name John, Ringo, Paul, and George in order from memory of the album cover alone.  Now that's a fan!


What's your favourite way to decorate a cake for adults (or young adults)?

Linked to Good Life Wednesday at A Beach Cottage

13 comments:

  1. Grace, Shanley Belle thinks this cake is too cool!!! :D Clever idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful cake and so unique, I bet it tasted yummy, I love homemade cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turned out very good! Now I am ever so hungry for cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple, indeed, yet gorgeously done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Beatles cake looks amazing. You did a wonderful job! Thanks for sharing this at Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a gorgeous, gorgeous way of decorating a cake!

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so good! And I mean that in both decoration and taste. Looks so much like the Abbey Road silhouette.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful idea! My husband's a huge Beatles fan as well- he would love this. Just yesterday we were watching live streaming of Abbey Road in England. Some people do really funny things when they cross the road!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh yes. Now I completely understand why they liked my post on the John Lennon room at the Queen Elizabeth hotel in Montreal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. this cake is amazing. im trying to make one for my cousin. how did you do the beatles ?

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is just want i was looking for. woohoo!

    ReplyDelete