Saturday, August 27, 2011

I'm Back!

Yes folks I'm finally home.  I had an amazing, wonderful, arduous, intense, exciting adventure and I finally arrived home on Sunday morning.  I've spent the past week talking and talking and talking and telling everyone more stories about Bangladesh and India than they probably wanted to know.  I've sorted my photos and made and ordered photo books so I would have an easy way to show others the best of my pictures.  I've handed out presents.  I've drunk water straight from the tap - oh joy, oh bliss - and eaten all those things that are on the taboo list for visits to South Asia.   

Children playing London Bridge at the CRP school, Bangladesh


I wanted to give my family and friends a peak at the best of my photos and thought I would play the numbers game as a fun way to summarize what I did this summer.  


Man standing on a pile of jute rope in Dhaka, Bangladesh


12463 - the number of kilometres from where I live in Canada to the Centre for the Rehabilitation of the Paralysed that we taught at in Bangladesh



An elephant I saw on my last day in Bangladesh.  The owner was sitting up on the elephant making him do tricks and when the elephant reached down for a tip he didn't like how much I gave him, so the elephant blew the money back at me and I had to give him more

63 - the number of monkeys we saw sitting beside the road as we traveled down the mountain from Darjeeling to Bagdogra in India


Women picking stones out of lentils in Old Dhaka, Bangladesh


52 - the number of days I was gone from home


The crowds in Old Dhaka, Bangladesh (I love how proud the Momma is in the photo as she could tell we were oohing and ahing about her baby despite the language barrier)


34 - the number of students I taught (19 first year students and 15 third year students) at CRP


The lush greenery at CRP in the early morning light


7 - the number of airplane flights I took this summer

Workers on the Glenburn tea estate near Darjeeling, India

Worker at Glenburn Tea Estate, near Darjeeling, India

6 - the number of countries I visited (presuming that a couple of hours stop-over in Abu Dhabi counts as a visit)


Buddhist Temple on Observatory Hill, Darjeeling, India

3 - the number of salwar kameezes I bought and wore for the month I was in Bangladesh


Man picking reusable coal from the Himalayan Toy Tran


2 - the number of days we stayed at the Glenburn Tea Estate, the most beautiful hotel I have ever stayed in (more about that later as I have lots of photos to share in another post)


Red Fort, Delhi, India

Red Fort, Delhi, India

Humayun's Tomb, Delhi, India

1 - the number of stomach bugs I got (thankfully I was only sick the last two days and am now on antibiotics and things are feeling and working much better).  


The best photo I took of my friend Kim who I couldn't have done Bangladesh and India without - a wonderful companion, adviser, and friend throughout (she is in constant motion so most pictures of her are a blur)


It's great to be home and to be re-connecting with my patient supportive husband, my family and friends, and even my blog.  Thanks to all the summer guest bloggers for filling in for me.


Linked to Good Life Wednesday at A Beach Cottage

23 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I'm glad to hear you had a great summer and made it home safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see you are back safely with wonderful memories and photos to share. More please :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home!!! What an amazing trip it sounds like you had. The pictures are fascinating and beautiful. Glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are safe and sound, enjoying your family and getting back to your life. Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a long stay. Darjeeling must have been amazing with all the tea plantations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing trip and experience. Can't wait to read/see more! Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome!!! The photos are phenomenal! I can't wait to hear more about this trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back Grace! Sorry to hear you got the bug. Your photos are amazing. What a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back, Grace! I am so happy you are back home in Canada safe and sound, and I hope the antibiotics don't make you sicker than the stomach bug!

    I recently read a book about the red fort, so it is great to see photos of it.

    The little schoolgirls are so cute. Do they all have the same cute pixie haricut?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back Grace ... what an amazing summer you have had. I have loved all the pictures you have shown us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome home, Grace! Hope you get to rest a bit before you head back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a great experience! Welcome back! liz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely photos as always! I can only imagine how this experience has touched your life. Glad to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome back Grace! So glad that you made it home safe & sound! I am so looking forward to hearing about your travels and admiring your always gorgeous photos! Have a wonderful first week at home and hope you are feeling better soon! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing photos! I am looking forward to hear more about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing experience! Your photos are amazing!
    Thank you for popping by my place!
    Kerry at housetalkn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lifechanging experience I am sure...truly amazing pictures. You have a great eye!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It must be so good to be home! That was quite a trip! Missed you over the summer, can't wait to hear/see more.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful experience! Thank you for sharing your pictures so I can explore vicariously!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! That sounds like an amazing trip! Hope you are feeling your best, soon. Maybe you should relax on my side porch...I'd bring you tea but it would be iced! Thanks for your nice comments on my post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such an amazing once in a lifetime experience you've had! Welcome home!!!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely pics, looks like you had a wonderful trip! Thanks so much for sharing at Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete