Thursday, April 5, 2012

Organizing the Front Hall Closet

Our front hall closet was a bit of a dark hole.  It still had the original builder's paint from when the house was built fifteen years ago and it was not well organized (as opposed to the rest of the house that works like a well-oiled machine - haha).  Since we are hoping to sell our house and move to a farm next year I thought it was time to start the ball rolling on the primping and preening that happens before one sells a home.  I realize that the front hall closet is not going to make or break selling the house, but I figure baby steps, baby steps ...




I started by taking everything out of the closet and giving the walls a good scrubbing.   They were actually pretty horrifying given that there had been fifteen years of shoes and things being tossed against builder's paint.  I painted the closet with some leftover semi-gloss (aka scrubbable) paint.  It looked so pretty with the fresh paint that I really hated to mess it up with coats and things, but I did anyway since the pile of coats on the hall floor was getting in our way.



I also sorted and decluttered the wall pockets that we have hanging on the back of the closet door.   If you don't have one of these for your closet, I would highly recommend it.  I found one with mesh pockets so you can see the contents which helps when you are looking for something.




I also removed an old IKEA dresser that we had at the bottom of the closet from the days when everyone lived at home and we needed lots and lots of places for mitts and hats.  I replaced it with a shoe rack that I got curbside - thanks neighbours!  It fits perfectly and now our shoes look all organized.
 
So I hung the coats back up and put the baskets in that I had recently bought for the upper shelf to store our mitts and hats and scarves. I chose houndstooth baskets to add a little interest to the closet and I labelled them with yellow tags.
 
Do you want to see a before photo?  Sure you do - so then you can see how wonderful the after is.



The only thing I have left to do is to find a tall narrow wicker basket to put in beside the shoe rack for the paper recycling.





Pin It

6 comments:

  1. It looks great! As I learned, little things like this really do make a difference when selling your house. It looks like the closet is three times bigger now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're moving to a farm? why? where? I'm so excited! will there be lambs or chickens or something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a difference, it looks great! I love the baskets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love organized areas, even little ones like our front hall closets. I did this and painted the front closet the summer before last and I also couldn't believe the scuffs on the wall. We swear our builder watered down the paint. Love your baskets. And you plan to move, to a farm? I'm jealous and happy for you too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks wonderful! I have those same baskets from Michaels! I just cleaned out my master closet the other day...what a project! Your closet look so organized!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those houndstooth baskets with the yellow tags Grace! They look very chic! Your closet makeover looks amazing! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete