Monday, September 3, 2012

Kate's Recipe Book

Last year our daughter Kate lived in residence while at university, but this year she will be living in a house with two friends. While Kate may know how to fire a musket and a cannon (true facts - see here and here), she is not so accomplished in the kitchen.  We've worked on her cooking skills this summer and she is improving, but this year she will need to do a lot of cooking.  


I was inspired by Ricki Jill (from the blog Art@Home) to make Kate a recipe book to take with her to university so she has some basic recipes to use.

First page of the recipe book and envelope to hold recipe cards


I went to the dollar store and chose a book to use.  I then printed off all the recipes I thought she would want from my blog.  You may have noticed a flurry of cooking posts recently as Kate suggested recipes she would like to have included.



I also bought stickers at the dollar store to decorate the book and then I set to work.  The sticker books were full of quaint sentimental words and phrases which just seemed a bit too cheesy for our taste.  So I used some of the words in a way that suited Kate's wry sense of humour (e.g. "so happy together ... filling our faces" and "I love ... stir fries").


I put the main course dishes at the front of the book and the sweeties (baking and desserts) at the back.  


I also glued an envelope to the inside flap for some recipe cards that Malcolm gave her last Christmas.  They are so cute as he wrote things like "You can do it!" around the edges of the recipes to encourage her.

Kate loves the recipe book and it will hopefully inspire her to cook healthy wholesome meals.
Pin It

I will be linking to the Summer Smashing Party at Art @ Home

7 comments:

  1. Great job! I love the idea and style so much, can I borrow your idea? Kit

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I really like the way you have made each page look so interesting. I am sure Kate will treasure this wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, what a great idea. My neice just moved into her first place and I am so going to be stealing this idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grace how sweet! Lovely idea!! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely idea! I wish my mom made me a recipe book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. :D It turned out great, Grace!!! I know Kate is so happy to have hers. I am almost finished with Shanley's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love this! It's such a great idea. I always wanted to share my recipes with my kids...maybe I should do something like this! Great job!

    ReplyDelete