Sunday, December 2, 2012

Christmas Mantel

About a month ago I made a board to go on our mantel out of old IKEA bed slats (which you can read about here).  I had fun decorating it for the fall, but was really looking forward to Christmas as I had plans.  I used some much-loved driftwood, some vintage ornaments, and a twig star to make a Christmas tree. 


I limited myself to two of my favourite colours - red and turquoise - with silver thrown in to make it sparkle.  It was a little tricky to get everything attached to the boards, but so far so good - nothing has fallen down.  I used sticky-back velcro to attach the driftwood and I tied the ornaments around the driftwood with invisible thread.  Then I strung my tufted wool garland, that I bought at West Elm, under the mantel.

I had totally envisioned the tree on the bed-slat-boards with the garland and loved how it looked, but I really struggled with the sides and am still not sure if I've got it. I wanted them simple so the tree was the star of the show.  I tried about a million different options, taking photos of the variations and then showing my husband and having him see which ones he liked best.  This one came up as the winner.






The mantel is all that is finished around our home.  Lots more decorating to be done.  How is your Christmas decorating going?
Pin It

Linked to A Homespun Christmas at Savvy Southern Style,
DIY Holiday Highlights at DIY Showoff,
Sunday Showcase Party at Under the Table and Dreaming,
Christmas Mantel Decorating Ideas Link Party at The Lettered Cottage

27 comments:

  1. Your mantel and especially the wall art is really wonderful!! Such a creative idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is absolutely adorable! Great job!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grace ... It's wonderful. Love the vintage balls.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love this! So simple, but so lovely! It works so well on your mantel too. :) Kit

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this! So gorgeous! Really brilliant use of driftwood! I think this is one of my most fab projects this year! Pinned it! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beyond fabulous - what an amazing focal point! Pinning this - and then I'll be hunting for driftwood!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very cute and totally unexpected. I love the twig star but if you want to switch it up next year you could always add a fake bow. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mantle looks so cute!! I love the fresh look of it all, yet very cheerful! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Grace!!! I LOVE your tree and mantel! It's so cute!!!! I just have a bunch of votives on mind because of the TV. I've finished decorating except for the fresh greenery we've ordered and it will be in by the end of the week. But I still need to finish my Christmas shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that is just so creative and lovely!
    Great job on it, looks wonderful with the white!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Grace, This is so creative and wonderful!! I love your driftwood tree.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is just beautiful! What great imagination you have. Of course I love the driftwood... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. And that garland looks fantastic, it's so sculptural!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your tree! It's beautiful!
    Yes, the stars made from wine cuttings! :)
    Looks great! hx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun idea and that garland is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. so much fun! Simple and adorable. Great project Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love, love, the driftwood tree. So simple and gorgeous! Will include it in tomorrows round up of 25 driftwood Christmas trees!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How in the world did I miss this!?! LOVE times a million!!! I want to put one pic and a link to you in the same post...would you mind!?! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks great. So far I have made a wreath for my front door from the evergreens in my backyard and I have strung lights & giant green Christmas balls on the railing up to my front door. Nothing inside other than a nativity.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun piece for your mantel... it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So creative!!! I love the organic feel.

    ReplyDelete