Friday, January 25, 2013

Israeli Food

Last week I gave you the low-down on our round-the-world cooking project (which you can read about here) and it's about time I shared one of my favourite countries so far - Israel.  I loved the seasoning on the meat and the crisp bright salad and best of all was the fresh bread my son baked.  Here's what we had:


SEARED LAMB WITH ISRAELI COUSCOUS
We adapted a recipe from here and added some spices from other Google searches.  We hoped it was authentic, but even if it wasn't it sure tasted fantastic.    We also added a chicken breast because certain husbands don't like to eat cute little lambs.


Ingredients for the Seared Lamb (and Chicken):
2 tsp tumeric
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp paprika
1 onion 
1 clove garlic
1 skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into chunks
1 lamb chop, bone taken out and cut into chunks
2 tablespoons of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
water as needed

Method:
1.  Mix the tumeric, cinnamon, paprika together and coat the meat.
2.  Heat the oil in a pan and cook the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes.  Add the meat and cook until the meat is no longer pink in the centre.  Add water as needed so there is a little sauce in the pan.


ISRAELI COUSCOUS

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups couscous
2 1/2 cups water
2 tsp bouillon
pinch saffron
1/2 cup raisins (or apricots)
Method:
1.  Stir in the bouillon, saffron, couscous, and raisins/apricots to the water.  Bring to a boil then cover and remove from heat.  Set aside for 5 minutes.
2.  Fluff the couscous with a fork.
ISRAELI SALAD
Two words best describe this salad - colourful and delicious!  I had the leftovers the next day in my lunch and it was even better, if that is even possible.  We adapted the recipe from here.

Ingredients:
4 tomatoes, diced
4 mini cucumbers, diced
1 orange pepper, seeded and diced
3 green onions, sliced
1 clove garlic sliced (so it could be removed before eating)
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup olive oil (or was it 1/4 cup - I'd start with 1/4 and add more if needed)
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

Method:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl.  Mix together and refrigerate.

CHALLAH BREAD
After mixing the dough and letting it rise, William divided the dough into three parts and braided them together.


He then coated the top of the dough with egg white and sprinkled it with sesame seeds and he made a beautiful loaf that looked like this.  It was as delicious as it looked.


I'm finally getting some of our cooking project posts done.  You can read about Egypt here and Persia and Pakistan are coming soon.
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. It looks so good Grace! Now I am hungry!My daughter and I would have loved this! {The boys are the pickier eaters in my house!} I love those types of salads...I find I am not fond of a lot of lettuce in salads. The bread that William made looks fantastic! Have a wonderful weekend! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love couscous and saffron, so I'll try this one. This looks so good! You'll have to tell us which of the foreign dishes/meals your family liked best. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Israeli food - falafel and hummus are my faves! My sister in law makes great israeli salad too. I don't like peppers so I like when she leaves them out for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! This salad is a must on our table for lunch and dinner!

    ReplyDelete