Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Christmas Cookie Week - M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies


Another favourite cookie around our house is chocolate chip cookies - my Mom's chocolate chip cookies to be exact.  I wanted to make some for Christmas, but I didn't want to bake ordinary chocolate chip cookies; I wanted them to look festive.  I decided that adding Christmas M&Ms would be the answer.  

I looked up on-line the best way to bake with M&Ms and one site recommended adding them to the top of cookies when there was about 5 minutes left of baking time and another sites added the M&Ms to the cookie batter.  What's a person to do with a dilemma like that!  So I did what any sensible person would do and I did both.  The ones on top are nice and clean which looks pretty and adding them near the end of the baking time meant that fewer cracked, but it is always nice to bite into a cookie and find an M&M.  Definitely a win-win solution.  






Ingredients:
1 cup margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup M&Ms (plus extra M&Ms to put on top part way through baking)

Method:
Mix first four ingredients together.
Blend in the flour and baking soda.
Add the chocolate chips, M&Ms, and sunflower seeds.
Drop by teaspoonful onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake at 375F for 10-12 minutes.
Makes 4 dozen delicious cookies
 
Enjoy!

And speaking of enjoying cookies, have you seen all the amazing treats being baked for Christmas Cookie Week.  Have a look at what these bloggers have been baking and prepared to be inspired.



Linked to Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm

9 comments:

  1. Ooo I love this! It's a great idea to use the CHristmas M&M's in the recipe. I agree, they are festive and I'm sure they're delicious, too! Pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy!! The grands would love these!! Oh yes me too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, my son would think I had gone crazy if he saw M&M's in cookies...crazy in a good way.
    They look really festive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Chocolate chip cookies are always a favourite! I love that you dressed them up for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything with those M&Ms in them would disappear like mad in my house! They look so good! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are killin' me, I gave up sugar a few months ago so this is pure torture...*winks* They look delish!

    xo Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Grace - those cookies look delicious. I received the blogging Liebster award yesterday, and part of the fun is passing it on to other bloggers…I picked you! Details are here: http://www.marshallhousematters.com/2013/12/a-little-about-me.html
    Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gracie~
    I wanted you to know that of all the cookie recipes I pinned last week, THIS is the one that's practically gone viral….Seriously it's been repined hundreds of times….

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome!! I've made and altered many chocolate chip cookies trying to find the perfect one. This one is hands down the best and my search is over. I first made it with butter(I always use butter) and thought it was great but decided to try it again with butter flavored Crisco shortening. Aahhmazing texture. Nice lil crisp on the outside and soft inside. I first made it with the m&M's and the second time with all chocolate chips. Thank you so much for this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete