Last weekend I tried out our new stick blender that I got for Christmas from my Mom. I've been keen to have one of these kitchen gadgets for ages so I could make cream soups, so naturally that was the first thing I made with it.
I found the recipe in my Canadian Living cookbook and then made many changes to it so I had my own unique soup recipe and boy was it good. I loved it with the sour cream and chopped boiled egg garnish - prettiness and protein all in one.
Here's the recipe in case you want to give it a try (and so I can find it again):
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
3 onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
Oil for cooking
2 cups frozen peas
2 cups chicken stock (or 2 cups water with 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon)
2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup skim milk
salt and pepper
1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
3 chopped boiled eggs
1. Cook onions for 15 minutes until translucent and soft. Add garlic in last 2-3 minutes of cooking time.
2. Add frozen peas, stock, and lemon juice and cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Blend in batches until smooth and return to the saucepan.
5. Add the milk and cook just until heated through.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Garnish with sour cream and chopped eggs.
I've always liked soups, but now that I have a stick blender I'm excited to try even more recipes. Anyone have a creamed soup recipe they love? What else do you use your stick blender for?